Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The call of the coyotes

There's something you should know about me. I love animals. I am what some would consider, a bleeding heart. And I am perfectly okay with that.
I cannot recall a time when I have not worked for animal 'rights'. Understand this - in my 'quest' for animal issue awareness I have tried to educate people on the plight of animals and how the very basic right -to live, without unnecessary harm- is being thwarted by people who just don't care.

There is a lot to know about my animal welfare/rights background, but this isn't about me.

Recently, the town I live in has issued warnings about the 'influx' of coyotes. Townspeople have complained of seeing coyotes 'running through their yard'. Some coyotes, we are told, have appeared aggressive, a pack of them 'hanging out' in the daylight at public school playgrounds.
There are two cases of coyotes attacks - 1 a cat and one a small dog.

The answer then is to cull the coyotes. However, the news reports have used the word 'euthanize'. Let's be real here, ok.

There are many of the reasons why this is a ridiculous 'solution' to the 'problem'. And I have expressed those reasons in a letter to every city council member. 18 reasons, in fact.

But what I want to address is the 'euthanasia' of these coyotes.

First, it is my understanding that leg hold traps will be used. Which in and of itself is unbearably cruel. The town does not allow the shooting of firearms. So how exactly will these coyotes be 'euthanized'? I am fairly certain that it will not involve a needle. What it will involve will be heartless, cruel and painful.

There is no reason to be like this. I am appalled that good people would choose to do this. We are told that the hired trappers will only rid the town of diseased and aggressive coyotes, but how will the leg hold trap know the difference?

I am angry and deeply saddened. It makes me sick to think that my tax money is going to something so unnecessary cruel. There are better ways. The town that claims they want to 'go green' has bright red blood on their hands.

Do not get me wrong, I love this town. I love the people, the quaint homes, the gorgeous old trees. I love the nature and it's creatures.
Coyotes are doing what coyotes do. And, I'm afraid, humans are doing what humans do - creating a problem then reacting to that problem out of fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Get Free 3 Column Templates Here